July 3, 2008

Huge Fan.


“In a time when everything can be next day and ordered and put on credit and paid for, music to me is promise, all promise, very little realization. It's the promise of walking into a room with a guitar and not being sure you will leave with an idea that will take, not being sure it won't slip away from you.”

Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to see a 'sneak peek' of the DVD coming out with the new live Mayer album. while I've seen him in concert more than most, i was still completely impressed (quite a feat seeing as i was only in his presence by way of year old film). Sitting in the theatre enjoying my $7 John Mayer concert, I realized that he will be my kid's Clapton. I feel like people are so busy judging his mainstream singles to really appreciate how incredibly talented he is. he's lyrics are eloquent and way ahead of his time, his riffs are unique, recognizable even a little showy and his energy is out of this world. I was completely captivated by his approach -- a mix of all three of his personalities. First he played, "opening for himself," only acoustic. Next he came out in a suit with the trio (which was rockin') and lastly he brought out his old band and an electric guitar. I think it's awesome that he was able to combine all three personalities, all three sounds, into one awesome show. Go grab the album. He does two covers that alone are well worth the price.

No comments: