March 4, 2009

Another Top 10.

When I think about the vast variety of music I listen to today, I can't help but think about the music I listened to most as a kid. Growing up, my parents instilled in me their a crazy-eclectic taste in music. Between swapping CDs with friends and my older brother, along with the constant "quick who is it?" games I used to play with my dad, it's no mystery how my enormous music collection came to be. However, when I think back ten to fifteen years, there's 10 specific albums that really stand out in my head for having molded me into the avid music lover that I am today...


10. Harry Connick Jr. - She
I think I was about 9 or 10 the first time I ever listened to good ol' Harry. This album, after having been discovered from my brother's best friend, was on repeat in my house hold for weeks. Something about his voice, the things he wrote about and his piano melodies were totally refreshing. He's bluesy yet lighthearted, occasionally bordering on pop. He's most likely a big reason as to why I continue to love the piano-playing singer/song writer today. Favorite songs off the album: "Between Us" and "I Just Whispered Your Name."

9. Stevie Wonder - Hotter Than July
What is there to even say about Stevie? He's an absolute legend. His soulful voice was probably when I first fell in love with Motown. To this day, nobody has ever succeeded in emulating his voice. I vividly remember my parents dancing around the kitchen to this album all the time when I was a kid. Best song: "Lately."


8. Mariah Carey - Daydream
What an incredible vocal range. If there was a dance-around-my-room-singing-like-an-idiot soundtrack of my childhood, this is it. Full of ballads, I think Mariah really solidified her longevity with this album, along with the others she had before it. It was a rarity when I wasn't singing at the top of her lungs to songs like "Fantasy" and a cover of Journey's "Open Arms."



7. Elton John - Self Titled
Sir Elton John. Is there any description necessary? So many songs, so little time. He's absolutely amazing, from his lyrics, to his voice to the music he creates on his piano. Some of my earliest memories of music stem from this album, one full of so many amazing songs it's hard to even choose a favorite. I've probably heard my mom sing (and cry) along to "The Greatest Discovery" a thousand times. For me, it's all about "Your Song" and "Take Me to the Pilot."

6. TLC - Crazy Sexy Cool
I feel like this album epitomizes the '90s in a way, for me it's really when I first became aware of R&B. Something about the grooves and the harmonies on this record are just insane. I probably borrowed it from Erin a total of 1,000 times when she first bought it. Songs like "Creep" and "Diggin' on You" have always been embedded in my memory. And now that I'm old enough to appreciate sexier songs like "Right Light Special," I see this album in a whole new light.


5. Nirvana - Never Mind
I used to sneak into my brother's room at night and steal this CD, staying awake for hours just mesmerized by Kurt Cobain. I think if my generation were going to be defined by a song, it would probably be "Smells like Teen Spirit." I have yet to meet a single person who doesn't know it or doesn't have a memory associated with it. Kurt was so moody, so honest, so fucked up and yet endearing that it was hard not to fall in love with Nirvana. Love the words to "Lithium."



4. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Was anyone as pissed off as Alanis? I'd never heard a voice like that before. Haunting, almost. I think it was when I was listening to this album that I had first heard "The 'F' Word." Nobody has to ability to rock and then whisper quite like she does. With bizarre music videos to boot, she picked great singles. Her don't-give-a-shit attitude really struck a chord with me. "You Oughta Know" is a classic man-hater.



3. Boyz II Men -II
People just don't sing like this anymore. I'm not remotely exaggerating when I tell you that certain songs on this CD don't work due to the fact that it was probably on repeat for over a year. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album. They were a boy band of sorts only they had actual raw talent. It wasn't about the management or the profit or their image, they could just sing, man. I couldn't mention a note worthy song because the whole album is great.



2. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Nobody, I mean NOBODY, compares to the Beatles. Growing up I was convinced that my dad secretly was one because he knew so much about them and had all of their music. Nobody wrote or can write songs like Paul and John and George. They had unbelievable chemistry. The Beatles were a regular at my parent's house and still are still on regular rotatation at my own. Songs like "A Day in the Life" and "Lovely Rita" are lesser known classics.


1. Michael Jackson - Dangerous
MJ, king of pop. I was so obsessed with this CD that I wouldn't let my best friend or my own brother borrow it. My parents often considered stealing it from me so they would never again have to be plagued by "Heal the World." When I think about my childhood, this album art immediately comes to mind. This was sort of the beginning of the end for him and even though he's now out of his goddamn mind, he's still one of my favorite artists of all time. "Jam," "Why You Wanna Trip on Me" and "Black or White" are by far some of his best.

No comments: