December 9, 2009

Catch-22

Throughout adolescence and your teenage years, there are various age markers that make getting older seem fun. At 16, you can drive. 17, get into rated R movies. 18, vote and smoke. 19, go to Canada. 20 is useless, but 21...ahhhh 21. The ability to legally drink. After 21, it's all downhill. Isn't it?

I'm just not a birthday person, it's not in my nature. I'm not the kind of girl that requires a lot of maintenance or attention, never been one to seek the title "life of the party." I don't need 87 people to wish me happy birthday on facebook, especially when i'm not friends with over 2/3 of them. I don't people to give me extra attention for being born. Everyone has a birthday, big deal.

It's incredible how old 22 suddenly seems. Friends are married, some have children. A few are engaged, or moving to random destinations across the country (globe for some!) for work and other opportunities. My brother has a grown up job, a pension, benefits, a gun! and he's coming into the inheritance in February. For me, some of those things are closer than others. Graduation is only mere months away, I get a new roommate (eeek! a boy!), and star looking for a job. It's amazing, truly...how fast the time goes.

No comments: