Four years ago -- what now seems like yesterday -- I was putting on that awful yellow(ish) cap and gown, grabbing a camera and heading out the door for my high school graduation. I posed with friends I've known since I was 10, told everyone how excited I was for college and took a mental picture of kids I knew I'd never see again as I moved my red tassel from one side of my head to the other, signifying a change...
Flash forward to this morning, as I walked home from class for the very last time. In one week I will have my bachelor's degree. I can't really say that I've worked hard for it or that it was well deserved because it doesn't feel like it. College hasn't been rough, it's been amazing. On my usual route home, I suddenly became aware of it all as I wondered if it's true, what people say about college as being their "best years." I looked around at my surroundings, knowing I've never really appreciated them as much as I do now. And just then, the perfect song came on...
Next week I'll be putting on another cap and gown, green this time, grabbing my camera and heading out the door for my college graduation. I'll pose with my best friend from high school, a roommate of two years, classmates turned soulmates, a new best friend, awesome girls in my major, colleagues, professors, and a smattering of other people from the past four years. I will tell everyone how excited I am about the future and take a mental picture of people I hope I'll someday see again as I move my white tassel from one side of my head to other, signifying a change.
'Cause these things will change, can you feel it now? The walls that they put up to hold as back will fall down. It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win...
No comments:
Post a Comment