June 16, 2010

Here to Stay

I've been wanting to but avoiding writing about Tom Izzo for days now. It's been on my mind quite a lot and has effected me in a way that would be embarrassing...if I weren't a Sapartan. I sat in my office this morning, logged onto the network and anxiously waiting for it to load. Knee bouncing from excess coffee and nervousness, I typed in "www.statenews.com" like I did every morning, only this morning I was waiting to read something specific. And with baited breath, there it was: Izzo Staying at MSU For Life. I shrieked with excitement, relief and gratitude. Coach is here to stay.

There's so much heart, and character, and gumption in our basketball program that if you're not within the realm of green and white, it may seem a little crazy and difficult to comprehend. But one thing's for sure -- you'll be hard pressed to find another team, another program, like ours. And this is entirely because of Tom Izzo.

I think the way East Lansing loves and appreciates him really came through during the waiting game we all went through this week. Not one person -- fan, team member or otherwise -- had anything ill to say of him, but rather was supportive through and through. Unselfish phrases like "do what's best for your family" were heard often throughout the last couple of days. Last night when deciding to stay in East Lansing as a "lifer," he not only did what's best for his family, but he increased that family by thousands.

No comments: