December 11, 2010

A year older

Another year, another birthday. For the last couple of months I've been falsely declaring myself as 23. Now, hours before my birthday, I'm holding on like hell to 22. It dawned on me the other day, when someone said "wow 23 already? How'd you get so old?" just how old it seems. Joking with a friend who's older, I was telling him about my discomfort when I realized he's 30. Now THAT's old :)

My birthday has fallen during finals week or graduation weekend (in college at least) for the last four years. I've welcomed this distraction, being nonchalant about my birthday. For friends that like their birthday, I participate, make it the big deal that they want it to be. But for those same people, they try to make my birthday a fiasco and I just don't want it. I'd much rather help them celebrate the end of their undergraduate careers or the last exam. It's just a birthday -- everyone has one, and there will be plenty more.

This year will be quiet, nice. Richard is taking me to my favorite restaurant tomorrow night and then to Toledo next weekend. I'm sad I couldn't be with my dad today for his birthday (53!), but we'll celebrate next weekend when I'm in town for my interview. Luckily, he has the same anti-birthday attitude I do and doesn't seem to mind.

Happy birthday Russdawg. Love you.

No comments: